Thursday, February 11, 2016

Random Thoughts in EDUC8845

Granted, I have not finished reading the Siemen's article. However, this sentence stopped me in my tracks - "...post secondary institutions 'have not embraced opportunities for innovation, from new methods of teaching and content delivery to technological advances to meeting the increased demand for lifelong learning." (p.8) I am taking courses from an online university. They got part of the delivery right. But what about innovative teaching methods? Maybe it's unfair that I took the Connectivism course with George and Dave. Maybe it's unfair that I talk on twitter with educators around the world. Maybe it's unfair that I have been involved with the K12online conference and the Global Education Conference. Maybe it is. So maybe my expectations are too high for experiencing innovative techniques in my own doctoral education.
Or is it time to raise the bar?
I posted a query in a class discussion board yesterday morning. No response. I know had I posted on Twitter someone, even @paulrwood, would have responded. And this is the innovative climate to which I have grown accustomed. So do I become discouraged and give up or do I continue to raise the bar and insist that the education for which I am paying drag itself into the global era?
technorati tags:
Photo courtesy of  Stuck in Customs covered under an Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic Creative Commons license available at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/95572727@N00/4445450019
Siemens, G. (2008, January 27). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for educators and designers. Paper presented to ITFORUM. Retrieved from http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/Paper105/Siemens.pdf
_________________________________________________________________
Update: This is a reposting of a post from 2010, during one of my doctoral courses at Walden. I would add that I now work with an innovator, an educator, and totally amazing lady who has been in 'my circle of the wise' since 2006  @coolcatteacher

3 comments:

Durff said...

I struggle with connectivism being a theory equivalent with behaviorism, cognitivism, or constructionism. It would appear we have always had networks, even Aristotle's students learned in a network. The speed of transmission has changed, indeed, but I struggle with the idea that what has always existed is somehow new. Am I missing something integral to this concept?

featheredflowers said...

I commented on your post in the discussion board. Thank you for posting to my discussion on Classroom 2.0. I guess some of us are ready and willing to share here, there, everywhere regardless of how little our time allows. It's hard to constantly keep up on putting your thoughts out there. I love taking it all in though.
Doing my best,
~Laurie

featheredflowers said...

I responded to your post in class. Thank you for bantering with me on Classroom 2.0 as well. Given the speed at which our lives depend with the influx of technology related to everything it get difficult to keep up on both sides of the networked learning. I love to take it all in but sometimes don't balance my absorbing with my sharing.
Doing my best,
~Laurie