Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Learning in the Connections

Ever since I took part in the CCK08 (Connectivesm and Connective Knowledge Online Course 2008) I have been intrigued with the learning theory that learning is about connections. It seems both George and Stephen have written reams, which I have barely touched, about this theory.
I learned the basic few in my formal schooling, namely

  • Behaviorism
  • Cognitivism
  • Constructivism
To this I learned during CCK08 to add Connectivism. Now everyone can have their theory, but the idea that knowledge is made up of connections is especially appealing. It makes sense. I listened to a video during the course where George said learning was in the connections and it all clicked. Not that I can express it very well as both gentlemen can. It just made sense. Connecting has to do with pattern making - with schema like Angela Maiers told my 7th graders.
While reading about these learning theories, I found an article by William Cronon. He suggests, "A liberal education is about...the wisdom to connect." [Cronon, W. (2004). 10 Qualities of a Liberally Educated Person. The University of Wisconsin-Madison. Available at http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?prev=1& id=159 Accessed July 9, 2009.]
Those ten qualities are epitomized in those with whom I surround myself both online and offline:
  1. They listen and they hear.
  2. They read and they understand.
  3. They can talk to anyone.
  4. They can write clearly, persuasively, and movingly.
  5. They can solve a wide variety of puzzles and problems.
  6. They respect rigor, not so much for its own sake but as a way of seeking truth.
  7. They practice humility, tolerance, and self-criticism.
  8. They understand how to get things done in the world.
  9. They nurture and empower the people around them.
  10. They connect.

Photo courtesy of dvidal.lorente covered under a Attribution-Noncommercial Creative Commons license available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/89772182@N00/2860177658
This a reposting from right before I decided to go all out and head down the doctoral path....and I am still in awe of Angela Maiers.....

No comments: