Consider that we cannot cure symptoms of dissatisfaction with the status quo.
What are these symptoms? Boredom, a lack of integrity, disaffection, disregardfulness, disrespect....basic hoi poloi syndrome.
This syndrome can be observed in both students and teachers. What is the cure? Not more of the same!
Shifting our shared school paradigms from the Industrial Era, which is over like bell-bottoms are over, to the happening Digital Revolution. Some call it by other names, like the rose.
- What if we did something scary and radical for a change?
- What if school above primary school were four days per week for several hours in the morning.
- What if MS and HS courses met once or twice per week and students actually completed collaborative research assignments online outside of class.
- What if teachers only taught four courses, but deeply taught them.
- What if teachers tutored individuals, led study groups, authored wikis/blogs, advised student clubs in the afternoons, and still got paid for an entire eight hours work.
We all know we work far more than eight hours anyway. What if? Will we dare to live our dreams?
A reposting of a blog post from early thoughts in 2007.....