Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FlatClassrooms

What a difference a few years make! I am so impressed....
let me back up a bit. I finished organising the Sounding Board Activity my 7th graders are doing tomorrow. I realised I had better figure out when I should be judging...went looking...realised I didn't get the forms...then I went and looked at the list of judges. WOW! They are sprouting out all over!!
I started hanging out around the Horizon Project/Flatclassroom Projects in Spring 2007. I watched my 7th grade that year peer review the project wikis/videos and I was a project judge. I remember it was a lot of work!
This year I am late to the judging party. One would naturally think I am upset by this - and there one would be wrong. As I looked at the lonnnggg list of judges, my smile got bigger and bigger. I just had to help myself to more Thinmints to celebrate. Vicki and Julie - you have hit the big time!
If you don't know anything about the Flat Classrooms Projects, take a look! They are even beginning a second spring round of projects, not just one, but two! It is my hope that such projects will be found multiplying year round in every corner of the globe.
Way to go, ladies. It is an honor to hang around your projects and watch them grow!!

2 comments:

Vicki A. Davis said...

You are a longtime trusted supporter, friend, and advisor to all we do. You have been there for us so many times. While I would never say that we've hit the "big time" we are seeing "big time" collaboration, cooperation and work from so many people who've caught the bug for this particular model of teaching - we have lead teachers from around the world who literally run projects with just some back end support from Julie and I.

It is so much bigger than us but I'll tell you that without you and Kim Cofino working with the sounding boards - that piece would not have the development it needed. We need to do more to help encourage the peer review process and be more. I hope you'll tell us what we can do to make that part better.

This is so much bigger than any of us, but the best thing is the world view change of the students involved.

Thank you thank you thank you for all you have meant to me personally through the years. I'll always count you as one of my dearest friends that has emerged from all of this Life 2.0 that hit me in Nov 2005. Thank you for everything.

murcha said...

Hi Durff, I think that I started my invovlement with the flatclassroom projects at the same time as you. We were the sounding board in the second half of 2007. In 2008, we joined the actual project, attended the flatclassroom conference in Doha and then were part of this amazing netgened project. I love hanging around with you, and Julie and Vicki and all the wonderful web2.0 colleagues, too. Even though we have come a long way, our journey is just beginning!!