Thursday, February 5, 2009

Thinking of character...

I was reading a post on Intrepid Classroom's Ning about character. It occurred to me that character is a summation of who we are. It equals not only the 'good' points, but 'bad' points. The terms 'good' and 'bad' are defined across cultures in pretty much the same general way.

Displaying etiquette is defined by Merriam-Webster as "the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life." Now I'm not saying I'm Ann Landers or anything. But others who fail repeatedly to display etiquette lack good breeding & education. It is important to treat others with respect.

This is how we should treat our learners - those in our classrooms. We need to model this behavior in our own interactions. When others consistently fail to do so, others cease to listen. For a twitter analogy, they unfollow you.

But how do I address this is the classrooms where I lurk? What is the best way to guide young hearts and minds toward developing character? I'm sure I don't know the definitive answer. All I know is that I do insist on kindness, courtesy, and a reverence for all humans as better than ourselves. I attempt to provide many opportunities for colearners to practice kindness, courtesy, and reverance throughout the school year.

technorati tags:


Photo courtesy of poppalina available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/93619143@N00/216854942 and covered under an Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Creative Commons license

No comments: