Monday, January 19, 2009

Running

I saw this on coolcatteacher's blog: (from the side of a Starbuck's cup)
"The Way I See It #130

It will do us little good to wire the world if we short-circuit our souls.
There is not delete button for racism, poverty or sectarian violence.
No keystroke can ever clear the air, save a river, preserve a forest.
This transformational new technology must be an extension of our hearts as well as of our minds.
The old rules still apply..."

Tom Brokaw, American Journalist"

Transformational it is. This new technology connects people in ways that no one ever dreamed possible. The vast globe shrinks in technological terms. I am so connected to other global educators and learners. Yet sometimes I feel disconnected. Someone observed a few days ago, "...[you] suffer from the loneliness that comes from being so far out in front that you don't see anyone running with you." Every time I read that comment I start to cry. It is too true.
So what do these two things have to do with each other? Me. I need to remember not to short circuit my soul but to use the technology to connect to others who run ahead of me. If I don't, I risk ineffectiveness and despair.
I was reminded by a dear friend, who does run ahead, that I am to emulate Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7 by running the race. I may not see anyone running with me, but He is. He probably is carrying me most if not all of the way too.



Photo courtesy of Thomas Hawk taken on October 26, 2006 available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035555243@N01/287666827 and covered under an Attribution-Share Alike Creative Commons 2.0 license.

No comments: