Sunday, January 18, 2009

Meeting of the Minds Meme

I was tagged first by Lisa Thumann and I did my best to ignore it. Then Beth Knittle got me. I cannot ignore the task any longer. This meme was started by Ryan Bretag.

What 10 people would you want President Obama and Secratary of Education Arnie Duncan to engage with in a Meeting of the Minds focusing on the state of education, a vision for education and education reform?

  1. Stephen Heppell
  2. Clay Christensen
  3. James Paul Gee
  4. Ken Robinson
  5. Michael Wesch
  6. Sharon Peters
  7. Geetha Narayanan
  8. Sheryl Nussbaum Beach
  9. Barbara Dieu
  10. Sarah Robbins
First thing one notices is that not all of those named are Americans. That is entirely the point. Certainly sitting at the ready would be Alfie Kohn, Seymour Papert, Cyndi Danner-Kuhn, Idit Harel, Grainne Conol, and George Siemens. A good team has equally good players sitting on the bench to run into the game at a moment's notice.
I've tried to include in the ten names those with expertise in varying fields, although ten is rather limiting. Forces likely to shape future education include virtual games, socialnetworks and connections of all sorts. In this fast-paced environment, it is crucial to remember to learn slowly and deeply as Geetha reminds us.

I tag the following 5 people for this meme (and I hope you didn't already do it):
  1. Paul Wood
  2. Porter Palmer
  3. Chris Prout
  4. Gabriela Sellart
  5. mrmayo


Photo courtesy of jonas_K taken on November 3, 2007 available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/67715696@N00/2311309574 and covered under an Attribution -Noncommercial-Share Alike Creative Commons 2.0 license.

3 comments:

Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach said...

Talk about humbling. Thanks Lisa for such a kind thing to say.

Prof Stephen Heppell said...

Gosh - I'd echo Sheryl's comments - humbling is exactly right.

But I'll tell you what Lisa - it would actually be rather a good thing to do - all that lot all sitting down together would fab... I bet we'd all clear our diaries pretty quick!

Cyndi Danner-Kuhn said...

I can't even explain how humbled I am being tagged by Druff!! And I agree that Duncan needs to sit down with the folks suggested and listen, not just talk, but really listen. And then he needs to go to another ten folks and listen some more. He needs to go to NECC and probably a few other conferences and see first hand what the movers and shakers in education are talking about and actually doing. Well Durff, again you tech me something, thanks!!