Saturday, November 15, 2008

The road to the Future

The Belgian Nobel Laureate in literature, Maurice Maeterlinck, has observed,

At every crossway on the road that leads to the future each progressive spirit is opposed by a thousand men appointed to guard the past. (Christenson, 2008)

This is the reason cited for maintenance of the status quo and resistance to any change. I am certain this serves a very good cultural preservation function. But will it get us where we need to be going?
We have a daunting task laid in front of us, namely to prepare K20 learners for their futures. Many, many reiterate (mainly because we just aren't getting it) that we are preparing students for a future which we ourselves cannot imagine. In that case, we had better take the road less travelled and make all the difference. We had better do it quickly.
I have recently slammed up against several roadblocks at the school where I work. The school has not chosen the road less travelled. These events make my life decisions easier. I will take the road less travelled. I will be making the difference. Will you?


Photo courtesy of John Watson taken on February 15, 2005 available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124473190@N01/4776861 covered under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.0 license
Reference: Christenson, C.M., M.B. Horn & C.W. Johnson (2008). Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns. New York, New York: McGraw Hill.

1 comment:

Alex Ragone said...

Hi Lisa -- Powerful post. I think we're all felling that way after Christenson. I wish you the best of luck in your decisions. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. - Alex