Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Community

In 1993, Howard Rheingold referred to a "virtual community'' as a place where community members meet, collaborate, and support one another emotionally. I wonder in how many virtual communities are you considered a member?
I am a member of the Edtechtalk community (a rather annoying one at that), a member of a Twitter group, a member of The Bloggers' Cafe in Second Life, as well as several other SL groups, and a member of the NECC virtual attendees badge-carrying club (ok, just kidding).
I have heard arguments on both sides - are virtual communities as real and as important to us as those communities that are not virtual? What do you think?
I wrote this post as I read material for the Connectivism Course led by George Siemens and Stephen Downes.
Photo courtesy of striatic taken on January 9, 2005 covered under a Creative Commons license available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/34427466731@N01/3158297


No comments: