Friday, September 12, 2008

A Ship without a Rudder

I found out the morning of 9/11 - a particularly wonderful day anyway. A colleague was kind enough to inform me that our principal quit effective 10-1.
Because the kids were not told until today I remained pretty much silent in places I knew my learners lurked, this being one of them.
Now, I can tell you how I feel. I literally lost my breath - I really thought it must be a joke - like the fan stealing going on around campus. But it is not a joke.
We are now a school without a helmsman - a ship without a rudder. I don't think anyone fully comprehends the repercussions this personal decision will have on the rest of us.
The message against all that I do is obvious. But of course now is too late to seek other employment for this school year. I've already been through the "pay for one's own health insurance" and don't want to return.
Then today I received a paycheck for about part-time instead of full-time. I think someone is trying to tell me something...
Anyone have a life jacket?

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
Photo courtesy of serdir taken August 1977 available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/11227369@N07/2396518552 covered under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 license

1 comment:

Doug Dobbs said...

This will be a big change, no doubt. But you will not drift. Good things will come of this, I believe.

Rough day at the ranch, though, I know.

Doug