Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Bagpipes!

Today at the very beginning of my most challenging class of 19 learners in a room of 16 desktops, during a block where I attempt (and poorly mind you) to include 4 learners who have been labeled (as I am labeled disabled, some even say I am retarded), my trusty Dell laptop hardrive became unbootable. Yup, nothing to boot the operating system. So with no way to approve learner blogs or blog headers, I dove into a pool with no water....
and this lesson went surprisingly well! Yes, there were a few bumps, a few too loud voices, a bit of wandering, and some off-task behavior. But all in all, we learned to ask three before Mrs. Durff, to use our call cups, and most importantly to get off the broken escalator (no helpless handraising).
Then at 6pm (took me a while to do all that work AFTER school rather than during like I usually do on the laptop) I stopped at Starbuck's, figuring I earned it today. There was a man in the parking lot playing the Scottish bagpipes. Just playing....no band, no occasion, no ceremony, just performing for those who heard him. That made my horrible, terrible, no good day, very bad day a lot better!
So if you wonder why I haven't been blogging, it is because I am throwing my all into facilitating the learners in my classrooms at the start of this school year. I know that once we all get the hang of things, once we all are signed up for all those different Web2.0 things, and once I have subscribed to all those blogs using RSS, things will get easier. It is just the getting there.
The IT guy just let me know on Meebo that he is looking at my sorry excuse (my description) of a laptop. ..... here's hoping he can make it boot!

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:

Photo courtesy of Gryphius, taken on April 21, 2007, available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/7946263@N07/471661327, covered under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license

2 comments:

RichSkyline said...

Ah, the fine art of improvisation--in music and in teaching with computers.

My Dell has been acting strange, too. I can't get it to shut down correctly. It just hangs and then tells me that several apps are "not responding." Then, when I tell it to shut them down, I get some strange meta language along the lines of: "the program that should be shutting down the program that is not responding is not responding...."

Sheesh.

mrsdurff said...

Tried diskcleanup or defrag in your system's tools? Running those programs may help....