Friday, July 4, 2008

Who Do You Want to be?

According to research there are three types of teachers: expert, experienced, and novice. They each focus on different aspects of classroom culture.

Expert teachers are more effective scanners of classroom behaviour, make greater reference to the language of instruction and learning of students, whereas experienced teachers concentrate more on what the teacher is saying and doing to the class and novices concentrate more on student behaviour. (Hattie, 2003).

Seems like this is exactly what everyone has been saying which is corroborated by reseach. To be an expert teacher I must focus on the learning and not on what is taught. Or put another way, I am no longer the sage on the stage but the guide on the side. Whichever way one says it, I need to think about more about the growth of learners in my classrooms and less about my delivery. What is your opinion?


Photo courtesy of monkeyjunkie entitled Turquoise Tunnel Silhouette, taken on April 11, 2006, available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/83455240@N00/126950457 and
shared under an Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 license.

Reference: Hattie, J. (2003). Teachers make a difference: What is the research evidence? Interpretations, 36(2), 27-38, Retrieved November 23, 2007 from http://www.acer.edu.au/documents/RC2003_Hattie_TeachersMakeADifference.pdf

2 comments:

Mr Lietze said...

Durff thanks for sharing this. It is simple and to the point - I like things this way :+)

I hope you don't mind but I will make a wee post on my blog www.lietze.edublogs.org entitled "A Post Worth Noting" that refers to this post. Something good is worth sharing!

Elona Hartjes said...

Durff,
I think that delivery is always important. Think of differentiated instruction and the way it engages kids and makes things accessible. Without engagement, there is no growth.