Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SL Relay for Life 2008

This past weekend I went into Second Life to the Relay for Life. This is an event that benefits the American Cancer Society. In RL, I help with the concession stand at the Franklin Unit's Relay for Life in Scotland, PA. This event in RL takes place yearly on the track of Scotland School for Veterans' Children. Three previous employees of the school and one present employee helped with this year's concession stand. I mostly stood around and smiled.

In SL, the Luminaria Ceremony, where lit luminaries line the track and those dedicated names are read aloud while walkers maintain silence for an hour, was especially beautiful. I bought a lot of luminaries, dedicating them to people I know.
One participant just let me know the total raised was not $195,000US Dollars. The total raised was $200,011USD. That was in a virtual world!
So if you're doubting the power of Web2.0 tools, their ability to augment global collaboration, and the intensity of participants' commitment, consider again.

technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
Photo is taken of me in SL attending closing ceremony at SL Relay for Life.

No comments: