Saturday, July 12, 2008

Draw a Circle That Draws Them In

Last night and this morning, I issued a TwitterChallenge, largely ignored by those outside the USA thus far. I wonder if we really want to draw an ever enlarging circle that will encompass those outside the echo chamber. Or are we so comfortable in our own patterns of behavior and in our own circle of like-minded friends that we are content to shut people out of our own echo chamber? While giving mere lip-service to a popular idea, we neatly brush it under the table where no-one will notice. Is that who we really are?

Durff Durff Twitter Challenge 4 Saturday:Go to a blog 2which u have never been & read/reflect & leave an intelligent comment-tag=twitterchallenge
Durff Durff this page will aggregate the challengers http://durffscollectionofst...

I received one reply to the above challenge with no action. Only one person did the challenge, and sadly that was me. Can you fill the RSS on this wiki page with your tagged actions?

Just in case, coolcatteacher has a wonderful diagram about tagging in How to Comment like a King (or Queen).
Or just type at the end of your comment her diagram below, replacing the address with http://technorati.com/tag/twitterchallenge and the title with twitterchallenge.





Photo courtesy of "0 W8ing", uploaded on November 12, 2005, available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/33562527@N00/62525961 and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 license

5 comments:

Julia Osteen said...

I think the issue of overseas folks contributing might have more to do with coordination as opposed to keeping within our own circles. One of the challenges to collaborating globally is how do you manage issues like time differences, etc. I could be wrong about this and will be interested to see what those from outside the USA think about this. I do believe there is a certain comfort to like-minded friends but I personally like to look for differing view points to consider.

redferntwo said...

I have to say- I really like your ideas, and I can see that you want to share these tools with people. You want to share ideas, and have a conversation. That's the awesome part about Web 2.0, giving feedback where feedback is needed.

There's an issue that I'm having with Twitter and my Web 2.0 folk, and that is that I see many people using this Web 2.0 as opportunists. Now there might be a little part of that in me too, but I think there's a real opportunity here in this Social Media idea, to really have an ongoing conversation with each other about where we want to go with education, society, and country.

We all want feedback, and for people to validate our ideas, that's what Social Media is so different for our culture. I'm having trouble wondering what the motivation of some folks are- shared ideas, feedback, or do you want me to shell out $ to read your book or go to your seminar?

I appreciate the edtechlive URLs on twitter, even though I've been tirelessly looking for new employment and have kind of slid off on the PD scale doing that.

So let this be my comment to the blog you requested. Keep it coming.

DR

Vicki A. Davis said...

Hey lisa, tell me what to do! I comment on at least 5-6 "newcomers" that I've never read a day -- does that count?

mrsdurff said...

Of course! I set up a wiki to pull in the RSS for things tagged 'twitterchallenge' and it is not pulling anything in, including mine. It only did the first one. I think something is amiss with wikispaces - i don't get it. I too have been commenting on 3 'newcomer' blogs per day. I guess someone else will have to try to aggregate these. I wonder if a Pageflakes would work better? Your ideas?

Mrs. R. Martin said...

Lisa,
Great challenge - I took it. After reading, watching videos from NECC sessions I didn't get to today, I saw that Lisa Parisi won a very nice award on Tuesday morning. So it was time to find her blog, since I actually crossed paths with her twice at NECC (DEN day and Monday eve dinner).
By the way, I thank you for your tweets about what is going on - live sessions in progress and interesting chats.You have great photos on your blog too! Very nice how you weave the construction of the photo into your writing! It does not go unnoticed.
Robin Martin - rmom352