Sunday, June 22, 2008

NECC - What is it?

What is NECC? That question was recently asked on Twitter and I was taken aback. I guess I am so out of touch that I assume everyone knows what NECC is...and I was wrong. I'm getting used to it...
NECC stands for National Educational Computing Conference
and is the conference is North America. Despite it being put on by ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) the group appears yet to hold the conference outside of the USA.
There is a ning community around the conference at NECC 2008
and a Netvibes page by mizmercer. Twitter itself is likely to hum with conference happenings moment by moment during the conference itself. Some attendees are already coordinating carpools and restaurants on Twitter!
So yes I guess my head has been in the sand as I thought everyone had heard of NECC. My fault....

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Mr. Shelhart said...

Mrsdurff,

I have to admit that I didn't know what NECC was when I heard people talking about it on twitter. I had to google NECC to see what all of the fuss was about.

Sometimes it seems that all of the seasoned vets in the ed tech community forget that there is (or should be) a constant influx of new teacher candidates to the ed tech scene. I have met a few first-year teachers and one other college student that are just starting to explore the online ed tech landscape.

Don't feel bad about assuming everyone knew about NECC. I can see how easy it would be to jump to that conclusion.

Thanks for clearing up what NECC and ISTE stand for. Sometimes the new kids in the sandbox need to have the simple things explained to them :-)

Mr. Kimmi said...

Thanks for the information. I will really enjoy getting all of the tweets during the NECC sessions and listening to the EdTechTalk podcasts, that is if they happen.

I feel like my community has, not necessarily, been left out of the loop, but maybe removed themselves from it, to create an easier life.

Hey, what's with the Fort Hays ning badge? Are you alumni?