Friday, May 30, 2008

Raise the bar


This is a link to a video of CNBC's Erin Burnett interviewing Ursula Burns, president of Xerox; Bob Compton, executive producer of Two Million Minutes; as well as Molly Broad, president of the American Council on Education and the former president of The University of North Carolina. Ms. Burnett reports America has an education crisis. Not news to most of us in the edublogosphere.
What can we do to divert this crisis?
I think showing all 7th through 12th graders Two Million Minutes is a first step. I can do that, in my 7th and 8th grade classrooms. A second step is perhaps initiating a discussion with students about the harsh reality of their futures. Their education today is affecting the American economy tomorrow and the role they will play in that economy.
A third step might be realistic goal setting. As a lead learner in Study Skills, time managment is within the scope of our studies. I need to do a better job - all Americans are indeed entitled to both the privilege of failing a course and entitled to a world class education. I cannot affect the failing grades, the learners make those decisions.
Every learner that passes through my classroom, however, is entitled to world class education. I need to up the ante. How do I best prepare life-long learners who are prepared for both university education and the business world? How do I equip learners to compete on a global stage against cultures that value academics more highly than Americans do?

No comments: