Monday, April 28, 2008

Seeds

Beautiful plants start as seeds. Beautiful minds started with k12 education. As a Christian school educator, I begin every class with prayer. As one of the learners led in prayer this afternoon, I prayed that the seeds I plant in the hearts and minds will take root and flourish. I prayed the learners would enter through the narrow gate (Matthew 7:13) and not swerve away (Proverbs 4:27).

Joseph Henry said," The seeds of great discoveries are constantly floating around us, but they only take root in minds well prepared to receive them."

As educators we hope to equip all our co-learners with the tools of reflective learning, collaboration & persistence. We often call these things metacognition, cooperation & stamina. Whatever the name, the qualities will be essential for succeeding in the 21st century and beyond.

Reading Joseph Henry's words causes me to reflect on my own teaching. Have I provided my co-learners with a passion for life-long learning? Have I instilled in them the ability to see what the future could become? Have you?

Technorati Tags:

Reference: Starmar, N. (April 2008). Scientific Discovery. Georgian, [80(01)], 1.

1 comment:

Mr Lietze said...

Durff thank you for sharing these challenging questions.

I too pray . . . lots . . . for my kids. I have a class of 27 Grade 5 students and so desire them to know their Father and walk with Him.
My prayer as a Teacher is often "Lord give me keys to unlock doors in their lives." I want them to be all God has made them to be.