Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What Can I Do Now That I Couldn't Do Before?

Relistening to Darren Kuropatwa from last August, he broached that question. It was PD in Adams County District. He mentioned the phrase, "What can I do now that I couldn't do before?" and listed web2.0 applications.
So what can I do now that I could not do before October 26, 2006? That was my birth into the web 2.0 world. Since that time I have learned to use a few tools that make my life easier and hopefully my job better:

  • blog
  • write html for hyperlinks
  • technorati tags
  • rss
  • create podcasts
  • webcast (albeit poorly)
  • embed videos
  • ustream
  • use VOIP
  • post images
I could go on but that is enough, more than enough really. My life has changed a bit. I use Google Docs to write lesson plans which are accessible at work, home, visiting friends, even while attending a conference in another state.
I use RSS to gather new content that I want to peruse and student content I want to grade. I can peruse and grade at school, home, even at a conference in another state.
I use del.icio.us to collect bookmarks or favorites. I can then access my collected content anywhere. I can also view others collections, which is very valuable, since others are brilliant!
The great thing is that there is no terminal degree here, there is never an end to learning. Literally, learning is lifelong. Are we preparing learners to enter this world?
Technorati Tags:
  Photo Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA available at http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/L21-30plug_proc_small.jpg
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.

2 comments:

msfd said...

Wow! Impressive. I'm dreaming of the time I can list. . . one or two things that I have really learned how to do. Thanks for all of your comments.

Darren Draper said...

You've come a long way, Durff. One year and you can do all of that? Amazing.

Keep up the great work, as always-

DD