Sunday, February 10, 2008

Creating a better presentation


I watched a recorded presentation today. It was very informative. I found myself twittering, meeboing, skyping & blogging during the presentation. This made me pause and wonder why. What was it about this presentation of a fascinating subject (which it is really is, no tongue in cheek here) that did not rivet my entire attention upon it?
Doug Symington to the rescue! He responded in twitter
I think that synchronous, for text and voice, builds community in ways async doesn't...
This was definitely asychronous but it is not the entire explanation...
The presentations that have fully engaged and commanded my full engagement had some common elements. We all can emulate these qualities.

* grabbed audio attention with sound
* grabbed visual attention with novel image
* activated prior knowledge (important for all learners)
* used something familiar & known which introduced something foreign & new
* tell a story
* no words on slides unless you wanted people to read them instead of listening to you
* images related to main idea
o complimentary graphics
o never bullet points
* no more than twelve minutes on one activity
* alternated activities
* reflected on presentation in none threatening way at end

Doug was, I think, referring to community, which is often used synonymously with lectures delivered traditionally. PD is often delivered this way. We all enjoy getting away now and then...
Online learning, while it looks solitary, is anything but that. My personal network is online 24/7 and I guarantee they all know, whether they care to or not, where I am, why I am here, and how I feel. Do we really think we adults are the only ones? How egocentric of us!
How are you changing the way you present professional development? Can you rivet my entire attention?
Technorati Tags:
Photo by Leslie taken Jul 23, 2006 available at http://picasaweb.google.com/leslie.f.taylor/CAX/photo#5050311301745011042

No comments: