Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Who you gonna call?


When you want to know the proper sound setup for a conference presentation, how to capture video, or which aggregator is most recommended, you are you gonna consult?
You will go to those you trust, people with solid reputations, contacts in your personal learning network.
I had 6th graders create a bubbl.us of their learning networks. They included the expected teachers, staff of the school, and principal. Also included were parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, even siblings. Many learners never considered these relatives as part of their learning network. Then we talked about other people we could include, like other bloggers we read, people who comment on our blog (IM is loving those comments - keep 'em coming!), tv shows or games we play.
We have widened our definition of a personal learning network to include anyone or anything that influences us to change. Learning is synonymous with change. Knowledge is collective and shared.
Yesterday I had the pleasure to be much smarter than I am because my network included two learners, often called students, who are much brighter than I can ever hope to be. I needed help setting up a Ustream demo and they were both there working as the experts with me. I simply love that! How often do we allow learners to shine and to know more than we do? I think it is something we need to do, as some learners are so motivated by leading.
Who did you allow to shine ahead of yourself within your sphere of influence today?
Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Mike said...

How often do we allow learners to shine and to know more than we do? I think it is something we need to do, as some learners are so motivated by leading.

So true! My kids get so proud and excited when they can help me out for a change--it really motivates them to try to outdo the geek parent/teacher, knowledgewise.

Mike