Thursday, January 3, 2008

Inside out


Much is being said about thinking 'outside the box' in education. Many of us, myself included, urge other lead learners to change from an industrial education style to a conceptual age education style. We are often frustrated by the lack of change.
It seems, and I hope I am wrong here, that lead learners seek the comfort of the quick answer. The multiple choice, black n' white, yes or no type of education where we are right and they are wrong. Technology integration doesn't seem to work that way.
There is a lack of tenacity in this regard. When things don't immediately work out perfectly then innovators become stagnant. Refusing to budge, they seek comfort in industrial education. I have seen it over and over.
This response puzzles me, I guess because it is so different from my own.I need to more accurately count the cost that I expect others take in order to be the change. Ric Murry very accurately reminds that:
...it is hard for me to believe anyone is really willing to be the change for something as big as national education system.
He's got a point. Why should they? We have an entire system built upon high-stakes testing, scripted curriculum, & tenure for following the system.
Even in private education learners are conditioned (sorry Pavlov) to play school from 8-3. Why should a couple illegal aliens upset the apple cart?
I was very surprised today when not only did my principal supply me personally with hardware necessary to Ustream a class but spoke to me and another learner about how education is changing. Are we getting through? Are we at the tipping point yet?
Technorati Tags:
Photo courtesy of egowebsites.net
http://egowebsites.net/ecademy/club/thinkingoutsidethebox/image/logo.jpg

3 comments:

Scott S. Floyd said...

Are we getting through? It sounds like you are. Awesome job! Keep it up.

IMC Guy said...

I agree that there are some teachers who might be willing to try using a new technology, but a bad experience often leaves a negative taste in their mouth. This leads to more apprehension down the road.

Scott S. Floyd said...

IMC Guy,

You are so right. It is the downside of technology that it may not work correctly every time. Then again, humans are the same way, but I digress. We must find a way to convince teachers failure is okay. From it we learn. It is a natural part of the learning process. It is the easiest cop-out answer for my staff. "It never works when you need it to." Oy.