Saturday, January 5, 2008

College-bound?

USA Today reports that 80% of 10th grade students plan to go to college. Contrast this expectation with Dana's at Principled Discovery observation that
The most interesting barriers to me include high schools which do not yet see preparing all students for postsecondary education as their responsibility

Would seem to me that if so many k12 students anticipate attending college that it is part of my job to prepare learners to do just that. It would further stand to reason that college preparation would be part of the job description of every k12 educator.
Which skills are essential for college-bound learners? The ability to communicate, collaborate, & connect are skills all learners need to master in order prepare for the 21st century.
As a k12 lead learner I must equip learners with these skills. Being a sage on a stage is not equipping. Preparing an environment which differentiates for every learner, insists on excellence & mastery, & presents content in the way in which learners acquire knowledge.
Am I preparing 80% of the learners in my classes for success in college?
Technorati Tags:
Tappo, G. & DeBarros, A., (2005, June 2). Reality weighs down dreams of college. Retrieved January 5, 2008, from USA Today Web site: http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-02-02-college-cover_x.htm
Photo courtesy of Wilson College, 2006.

2 comments:

IMC Guy said...

That figure doesn't seem accurate to me. Where I teach, the figure it much lower. There are too many kids in parts of the country that simply can't afford college. Maybe a tech school or some other training beyond high school. I would also while 80% may plan on attending, I bet the actual number who enroll is much lower. Keep in mind, that we are preparing kids for a future that may not even exist yet - especially elementary teachers.

.mrsdurff said...

That is an accurate figure, but as you point out, it is those who "plan" to attend in 10th grade. I worked in a school where 100% of graduating seniors went to college. Again, a misleading figure, because only about 50% actually graduated from college. Many did not follow the traditional four years after high school plan. Maybe we all need to look at that tradition as well. Where I worked, a veterans' school, many went into the military to obtain the college funding.
You're right, elementary teachers like me have got to change in order to meet the expectations of the future!