Friday, December 21, 2007

It's really a conversation

Twitter is a social networking tool. Lately, I have run across several disturbing discussions regarding Twitter. It seems people insist that they need to 'keep up' with those they follow. They feel the need not to miss a single tweet.
When there is a crowd in a room, are you able to follow what each person says? No, of course not. Then why do we feel a need to follow written text (in 140 characters or less) better than we do the spoken word?
I feel no such responsibility. I probably miss many great things, but I am not Inspector Gadget. When I am able to return to Twitter, I read the page top to bottom and that is it. I cannot contribute to oral conversations without missing something. I do not expect myself to contribute to written conversations without missing something.
When I do miss something (which is probably more than I realise), I can always ask followers on Twitter and within a few moments they will post the answer for me. An example is twittering from a cell phone. I know that has appeared on Twitter beforehand and I forgot how. Someone posted it again when I forgot. I'm sure if I went and asked again, that question would be answered again.
My personal learning network is epitomized by Twitter, a 24/7 online, global network of fellow learners.
Why aren't we talking about learning networks in our classrooms? Why aren't we asking fellow learners to not only be more aware of these networks but to develop their learning networks?
Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Sue Waters said...

Hi Lisa - I am the biggest offender of not wanting to miss anything. But in my defense I am on the opposite time zone to US and UK; so most of the informative tweets are happening while I am asleep. By the time I get up many of the people I could ask what's been happening have stopped for the day.

Sue Waters
Mobile Technology in TAFE