Sunday, December 9, 2007

Change

I'm rereading a post by David Warlick, My Apologies, and I must admit I am somewhat confused. He speaks of educators resistant to the changing landscape of education. David speaks to many school entities (and gets to sample the local Starbucks all over the world!)
I did my teacher training in the 1980s and 1990s. The 'changes' were the foundational curriculum then. Why is it so difficult for teachers to 'change' to align with best practices? I have heard podcasts of David speak, and he is not overbearing or radical. In fact, he is a very polite Southern gentleman.
Yet he reports that overall he finds educators wary of the 'changes' he advocates. This is where I am confused, not by what he says, but by the attitudinal walls that so many of us observe.
Education has already embraced change. I was taught about MI Theory, guide-on-the-side, differentiation, content area integration, wait time (teachers still not doing it!), and a myriad of other change agents. What on earth is so difficult about integrating technology?
David says we need to reinvent education. That is true and my ideal is far more radical I fear. But for the immediate future, we only need to refine that which we have already changed.
Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

IMC Guy said...

I think some teachers are scared of technology. We have a teacher at our elementary school who teaches the "gifted" kids. She knows nothing about technology and computers and admits it. I really struggle with this - these kids could be going crazy with technology and computers and they don't have that option. I often wonder what's stopping her from learning.

.mrsdurff said...

What makes you think they are not already using technology at home like many of American youth?