Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Incredible Experiences....

How far have I traveled in the last few minutes? I was just conversing with people around the USA and Canada as a class of preservice teachers with Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach listened.
Now I find myself down under listening to a presentation at a conference there. How many miles have I traveled? Well, really, zero. I am sitting the whole time in my desk chair at my desk in my apartment in Northeast USA.
We live in incredible times. Earlier today, learners in my classes exchanged comments with others in Wales, Australia, & another state. Yes, it is an incredible world with those wrinkles scrunching up to touch each other in unexpected places.
If audio can span the miles easily now, why not video? Truth is, it can. The timezones are the main thing to overcome.
How many miles have you traveled today?
Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

McGill said...

I have never thought about technology in such tangible terms. Even when I think of who I talked to on the phone today or with iChat, I realize that I would have easily had to have traveled over 1,000 miles (and that is just between Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri!). This type of rhetoric could be a useful tool for persuading administrators and other educators to use technology in the classroom. It’s so catchy, “How many miles have you traveled today?” It really gets the wheels turning about what it actually means to talk to someone on the other side of the world.

McGill said...

I have never thought about technology in such tangible terms. Even when I think of who I talked to on the phone today or with iChat, I realize that I would have easily had to have traveled over 1,000 miles (and that is just between Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri!). This type of rhetoric could be a useful tool for persuading administrators and other educators to use technology in the classroom. It’s so catchy, “How many miles have you traveled today?” It really gets the wheels turning about what it actually means to talk to someone on the other side of the world.

Erin Frasco said...

I will be a business education teacher and the prevalence of intercontinental and interstate communication in business is huge. It is becoming more and more mainstream and most companies work with other countries. It is important for students to be up to date on different forms of communication and how to utilize them to best communicate with other countries. Students need to become efficient with internet communications and how to best come off on those. If students are not good communicators people from other countries might not necessarily understand what they are trying to say. As a business teacher, it will be my job not only to teach them the ways of communication but to get across just how important intercontinental communication is, especially if they are looking to go into the business world themselves in the future.