Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Road not Taken

Which road will we take? Most will recognize the Robert Frost poem. We have writing down our short term goals in computer classes this week. Many learners wrote that graduating was a goal. I ponder my short term goals.
Leading these learners into enhanced communication, collaboration, and critical thinking, especially in online environments is a short term goal. Asking learners to play an integral part in an upcoming presentation of mine is a short term goal. Attending more educational technology conferences and solidifying relationships is a short term goal. I seek to make all the difference...
Technorati Tags:

mp3 of poem

3 comments:

Pam Foutch said...

Wow. Short term goals. Now that's a subject that caught my attention. As a 40-something wife and mother returning to school (after initially graduating with a bachelors in 3.5 years because ‘I’m DONE in December, whether I have a degree or not!’ and swearing for the next 3 decades that you couldn’t PAY me enough to go back to college) I find myself back in the classroom and my short term goals are just to keep up! Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited about college courses again, and I enjoy the perspective that I have at this age, compared to when I was 20, and I am completely intrigued with technology and its roll in the classroom, but secretly scared to death of it at the same time. I purposely took the class by Cheri Toledo because it was stated to be “technology enhanced”, and I want to learn as much as I can. I fear, however, that I’m just ‘not gonna get it’. I’m determined to keep at it, though, and absorb as much as possible. I guess you could say that’s my short AND long term goals.

Durff said...

Dr. Toledo is wonderful! Hope you join us at WOW2.0 tonight!

LSShanks said...

We, too, are writing goals in my computer class. Every class at my school is required to do it every quarter with every student. Many will choose the minimum grade, citizenship, and keyboarding goals I set for them rather than seeking more. It's a shame that we see the same boring, repetitive goals spoken; I try to at least get one outside-the-box tech goal from my kids. And I've never believed in spoonfeeding, though parents and kids seem to expect and even demand that nowadays. As far as handraising, I tell them up front that sometimes they'll be very angry with me because I won't answer any questions directly. I will require them to think and problem-solve. Also, they must "ask 3, then me" because I have 30 students and not enough clones to get to each student with a raised hand. LOL Thanks for the thoughts.