Friday, August 31, 2007

Helpless Handraising & Spoonfeeding


Thanks to Vicki Davis and Jason Hando for two great concepts. These words are repeated in my classrooms again and again. I'm only starting to see the learners try to not get caught raising hands helplessly or requiring spoons. They are learners just like I am and therefore we are all on equal footing. We still struggle with a great name for the lead learner who ignores those who engage in helpless handraising and require spoonfeeding.
Learners have been spending time at bonus.com while I work to get everyone online. They play the same game for many days, logging in to it again and again, even though they don't win. Yet they expect the 'classroom learning' I feed them to be quick, easy, & painless. Sorry 'bout their luck. I am really the wrong lead learner to dole that out.
Those learners who already know this are working beyond what I have asked, which is minimal right now until we get 100% logged in and online.

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Vicki A. Davis said...

Oh, you are so right, Durff! It is so important to move students past the procrastination strategy of raising their hands and waiting. I have to do so many things to keep them working including a copy of my lesson plans when they arrive.

Kevin Sandridge said...

Amen, Durff! I've been harping on "self reliance" and the value of discovery for the past two weeks! Students are finally catching on. One thing I find that helps is to empower other students to assist peers and encourage them to be more proactive. The "three before me" rule helps with this - as students know they must ask 3 'qualified' peers for assistance prior to coming to me. Find this helps with team building in class as well.

Kelly Christopherson said...

In a society that is so caught in instant gratification, teaching youth to rely on themselves and their peers is so important. As they learn to become less reliant on getting an instant answer, they learn to persevere with a problem, looking for solutions in different ways. They also begin to see that there is more than one way to solve a problem, allowing them to experience a slight discomfort as they try to negotiate what between what they know and what they are encountering. As always, Durff, you highlight what is important - helping students to learn without us!