Thursday, May 17, 2007

Is privacy a right or a privilege?

The question has been raised whether personal privacy will exist as we move forward into the digital age. It seems less important to the digital natives. I wonder whether this is a recklessness of young age or is it just not an important concept anymore?
In an age where any can find anyone in a matter of seconds, is there really any point in defending privacy? Our kids seem to take it for granted, but is this wise? Could the majority of responsible people push the minority of prowlers off the digital landscape, making the internet safer for everyone?
Giving up one's perceived right to privacy requires one to give up control. We live in an industrial age that revolves around control. Teachers control, employers control, the government controls...But when this privacy is relinquished, control of the many by one is replaced by collaboration of many.
Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Kim Cofino said...

This is an interesting question...

I have to admit, I'm starting to think it's a privilege... the other day I googled myself and found so many little things I had totally forgotten about... Google never forgets.

But maybe this is a good thing. We are learning how to present ourselves online, just like our parents teach us how to present ourselves in person.

We have to learn what is appropriate for posting online - always keeping in the back of our minds that not only can anyone see it, but that it will never be lost.

Durff said...

A difficult lesson for me. One that I may never learn.....

Laura B. Fogle said...

I have been thinking about this issue of privacy a lot since watching Frontline's Spying on the Homefront http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/homefront/view/)

I think privacy is a pivotal issue for the digital age. I buy everything with credit cards, track my appointments with an online calendar, compose my documents with an online editor. I am not sure that I want anyone to have access to all that information about me and yet I am leaving my digital footprints out there. Will that mean that I receive highly targeted marketing in the future? Or perhaps be discriminated against for my political views?

I think students need to become more aware of the issue so they can begin to shape policy and practice for their future.

Laura
http:\\www.tech4teaching.blogspot.com