Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Disconnected thoughts in a culture of disconnection...

Collaborating with other people teaches us to write. I write more, although not better, when I blog. I don't know why, but I have observed the same thing going on with my students. We don't bother to ask, we just communicate. We need other people to hear our ideas, to recognize our voices, to see our efforts.
We are created for relationships. We need to connect and students need to connect. Often, connections are made with family members and real-time friends. Increasingly, connections in our disconnected culture are made online and in our second lives. The people I have found online are warm, caring, real people. I don't know that our students always care as much as I do about those connections.
I have been asked to give a workshop at some convention. What on earth will I say to these educators? What on earth can I possibly contribute to their portfolios? It feels very strange indeed...

1 comment:

Candace Hackett Shively said...

Just so you know that you ARE connected: I found your blog(s) this morning during my self-allotted time to burrow and poke on the web. This is my favorite part of my week/day/hour...

I stopped to comment because YOU validated something I did! I burrowed through from the EduBlogCon wiki, read a couple of your blogs, then found a link here to the Wiki Walkthrough from TeachersFirst . Validation at least deserves a thank you- so this is mine. Hope to see you in Atlanta, (though I will be in a workshop during much of the EduBlogCon).

There is a powerful group of fearless teachers out here--- like you. We need to continue to nurture those who are afraid or encumbered to take the first steps of discovery. If the teachers won't/can't step in, it's not just the kids who lose. It's all of us. Thanks again.
Candy