Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It's about the literacy....

There was a sign posted in a recent political campaign. It said something like it's about the money (or whatever the issue was), stupid! Well I feel like I need those "duh!" reminders too! The literacy skills we teach are not about the pencil and paper. They are all about literacy, whether reading literacy, digital literacy, mathematical literacy...it's all about the process, not the product. It is difficult to realign our vision, as deeply entrenched as we have become.
But David (Warlick), expense IS the issue. We have no right, here in the First world to use up the world's precious supplies of paper and ink on teaching literacy the old fashioned way. Who do we think we are? We are not that good, afterall. We are passe, we are irrelevant, and we are being assimilated. We must change if we hope to stay. Just stay. Not even be with it. Just stay. Now if someone would show me how to do a search via RSS, I'm ready. I knew tonight that SSVC (where I used to teach) lost the PIAA game via RSS before my friend who was at that game in Harrisburg could call me. Now that is being informed. And depressed. I do wish they had won.

1 comment:

Scott Meech said...

The speed at which information is passed is amazing...

Can you expound on the process a little more? I should probably go through your archive to find that information...

I am giving a seminar on digital literacy and would love some more information.

Scott@smeech.net
www.smeech.net